Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Download the Old Version of your Favorite Program

As many of you know, I’m not a fan of auto-updates or even downloading new versions on the day they’re available. Well, I have now found a way to access older versions of my favorite programs.  It’s located at http://www.oldapps.com/

As of today they have 2470 versions of 179 programs. They have Music Utilities, File Sharing, Web Browsers, Drivers and more. There’s even a section for Mac users with 329 versions of 24 programs.

I heard about Old Apps from its co-creator Chirag Patel when he asked permission to include old versions of WinPatrol on the site. They’ve acquired 23 different versions of WinPatrol and even I got a chuckle when I downloaded a really old WinPatrol 4.0 pictured below.

A really old WinPatrol 4.0
WinPatrol 4.0.2.8  (© 2002)

We’ve come a long way baby.  This what the current version of WinPatrol looks like. Click on the image for a clear view.

WinPatrol's current version 2007
WinPatrol 11.2.2007 (© 2007)

On my first visit to OldApps.com I was given a yellow warning by SiteAdvisor.  While all reviews on SiteAdvisor were positive, at one time copies of old versions that included some Adware were detected. Hopefully, SiteAdvisor will update their records.  It’s really a shame that they removed old versions which included adware. As an AntiSpyware researcher myself, it would be handy to still have access to those older versions.

Share on Facebook


4 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

Hi Bill.

It would be of great service to oldapps.com if the owner would post that all the links which contained adware are no longer on the site for downloading. That way it's a faster way of grabbing thier attention to change the rating.

I'm going to drop a comment also, cuz my reviewer rating has a bit more 'juice' or so they say, lol.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

While you're at it, feel free to if my review a postive vote. I could use my rating juiced up a bit. ;)

6:26 PM  
Blogger Cd-MaN said...

Hello.

Being in the security business you should at least mention that new versions of applications bring not only bloatware (new features which nobody uses), but also many times patch vulnerabilities.

So by using an older version you won't only get a lean-mean version of the application which contains only the features you want to use, but also possibly one that can be exploited.

Though that people should keep this in mind when visiting that site.

3:14 AM  
Blogger TeMerc said...

Way ahead of ya Bill, I rated ya up while I was there when I saw how low rated you were.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home