Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ten Years of Digital Photography

Today I’m celebrating the 10th anniversary of my very first digital camera. It was a Casio with the top resolution of 320x240.  That’s about 0.23 MegaPixal by todays standards.   It saved images in a proprietary .cam format, and the included QV-PC software converted the files into .jpg or .tif files.  We had the most fun when handing the camera other people and asking them to take our photo. People just didn’t know what to do and usually pressed their eye against the LCD screen

Here’s a example digital photo taken in 1996.
Niagara Falls from our Hotel Room
This was taken from our balcony at a Niagara Falls hotel.
The same balcony is in a scene at the end of the movie  “The Whole Nine Yards”.

I’ve learned a lot over the years about taking photos and I still have a lot to learn.  If you’re looking for some great tips check out 10 Tips of the New Digital SLR Photographer published by Thomas Hawk on his Digital Connection Blog.  I learned a lot from this post and was finally convinced to join the online photo service, Flickr.com. I’ve only started my collection but you’ll notice I now include a photo “badge” from Flickr on the left side of “Bits from Bill”.  You can view my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/billpstudios/

If you’re looking to purchase a new digital camera and want to find out all there is to know, I recommend  the site, http://www.dpreview.com/   Not only can you find out every little detail about the camera your considering, you can also set up comparisons with other cameras.

 

Share on Facebook


1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Barber said...

I also bought that same camera! I am currently using a Canon 20D. Digital Photography has come a long way, thankfully!

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home