Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Photoshop and Couterfeit Twenties

A few months ago I wrote how companies making printers and copies adhere to government requests by embedding serial numbers and dates in anything printed. (More Info)  Today, I learned that software companies also cooperate in the prevention of counterfeiting.

While scanning a twenty today I was surprised to see the following message.

No counterfeiting allowed

Of course, my purpose for scanning wasn’t counterfeiting.  I planned on creating a single sided bill with someone’s face photoshoped in as a party favor.  I did find a way around it and was able to paste the image into Photoshop. I won’t post the results here since it’s still probably illegal.  Clicking the Information button will take you to a web site for Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group at

The CDS(Counterfeit Deterrence System) has been voluntarily adopted by hardware and software manufacturers, and prevents personal computers and digital imaging tools from capturing or reproducing the image of a protected banknote. The technology does not have the capacity to track the use of a personal computer or digital imaging tools.”

Side Note: Adobe must be proud that “photoshoped” has become a common verb.  Happy Face

Share on Facebook


Post a Comment

Create a Link

<< Home