AOL Active Update Doesn't Suck
Today, in a RARE move I’m going to say something positive of both America Online AND automatic updates. I’ll make up for it tomorrow by pointing out another new annoyance from AOL.
Recently, AOL has been “offering” an update of its “update” mechanism to fix potential problems. “This corruption can cause software updates to restart repeatedly until they are successfully completed. “
Unlike most other updates, they actually have my approval on how this update is being presented.
There are some things I really like about this update.
- They actually notify the user an update is going to occur.
- Date, Time and Update number(although cryptic) are displayed.
- They provide a “Let me do it later” option.
- They describe the purpose of the update.
- They even provide a link to more details that describe the update.
If you click on the image above, it answers the questions...
“What SoftwareUpdate am I Receiving?”
“What is the AOL Software Update Mechanism and How Does it Work?
The only thing missing is an option, “Never Update” but I can understand this being a required due to the serious nature of the problem.
Unfortunately, this kind of update is rare but I sure would like to see more like it.
Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Full Version
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit