Click here to view current Bits From Bill posts Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Windows Home Server Saved my Butt

Last November I posted the article below after someone recommended a Windows Home Server to me. I’m happy to say after having a system failure this week I was able to try the “Restore PC” CD that came with my HP Mediasmart Home Server and it saved my butt. I now have a completely restored system in working order.

--------------------------------------------------------

November 30, 2009
Do you have more than one PC or Laptop in your home? Would you like a better way to make sure your computer data is backed up? If you answered yes then like me you want a Windows Home Server for your home network.

Last month, I finally decided that a Home Server system would be a good choice for me. After some serious research, I went ahead and purchased a HP EX490 1TB Mediasmart Home Server . At the time it was $500 but can now be had for $469 USD. I also added some drive space with an extra Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive for only $90.
hpmediasmart_thumb

harddrive_thumb

HP Mediasmart Home Server

I can’t believe I waited so long before picking up this essential device for any home network. Designed as a single device to stream your music, videos and photos the Mediasmart Home Server has a variety of cool functions. For me the single feature which backs up all my computers was well worth the cost. When I first set up the Windows Home Server I had it back up all my home computers which took the better part of the day. Now, it backs up every system in 5-10 minutes and only stores what has changed. Everything is done without any intervention and alerts me only if an error occurs.

If I sound excited it’s because I am. I’m sure, I’m not the only one with 2+ computers at home and this is a must have addition to any home network. For more information on the power and features of the Windows Home Servers check out Microsoft’s Windows Home Server page.

I recommend highly that you add a Windows Home Server to your holiday wish list. This month keep your eyes out for special savings. Today on Twitter I read that Amazon has a HP LX195 MediaSmart Home Server with a 640 GB hard drive on sale for $199 USD. This smaller unit doesn't have room for more internal storage but includes 4 USB ports to easily add more space. If you’ve ever had a hard drive failure and/or looked at the costs of disk recovery you’ll want to order one today.

----------------------------------------------------

My 4 year old desktop had 829 GB’s of data which I have collected over the years. It included 12 years of digital photos, full copy of TV shows which I had recorded, 10 years of Email stored in Microsoft Outlook, many programs which I doubt I could ever find again and more.

I have never found a backup system I was happy with until now. It took almost a full day to restore all the data but it worked as advertised. I doubt this is the last time you’ll hear be sing the praises of the Windows Home Server. If you have a household with multiple computers treat yourself and make the investment today.

Share on Facebook


4 Comments:

Blogger wwaterhank said...

I WONDER IF BILL RECOVERED ALL FILES INCLUDING SYSTEM FILES. THAT IS,-- ABLE TO MAKE A COMPLETE TOTAL DISK RECOVERY INCLUDING A RUNNING OPERATING SYSTEM, WITHOUT RERUNNING AN INSTALL (PROBABLY XP), BY JUST RESTORING THE DISK(S).

I WONDER ABOUT THIS BECAUSE I USE NERO TOTAL DISK BACKUPS & OFTEN WONDER IF I HAD A CATASTROPHIC CRASH, WOULD RESTORE REALLY WORK.

CONSIDERED BUYING SERVER AFTER READING BILL'S NOV. WRITEUP BUT THE HP PRODUCT DESCRIPTION IS SO ORIENTED TOWARD PHOTOS,MUSIC,VIDEOS,ETC., I DID NOT THINK THAT DISK BACKUPS WERE A STRONG SUIT. I THEN DECIDED TO STICK WITH MY 4 INDIVIDUAL EXT. DISKS (4 COMPUTERS--4 EXT. DISKS). HOWEVER I AM WARY OF EVEN THIS BECAUSE I HAVE MULTIPLE BOOTS ON SOME COMPUTERS.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Bill Pytlovany said...

WWaterhank,

The backup isn't a file backup. Windows Home Server on the HP computer maintains a complete mirror image of any volume you set to backup.
On a daily basis it does incremental backups of only those locations which have changed.

When I say my system is back in the exact state I mean it. All the annoying Windows quirks that were on my system before are still there. ;)

Bill

9:42 AM  
Blogger wwaterhank said...

Thanks Bill.
Consequently I will eventually buy an HP server. HP products have become my brand of choice. I find it best to buy product & warantee from local trusted retailer(which is not easy to find) altho HP did replace a faulty printer 3 years back after 2 years usage.
Thanks again.

12:30 AM  
Blogger lobsta21 said...

Will my 64 bit computers work with the 32 bit backup? 64 bit computers seem to work in 32 bit fine but I'm a bit foggy.I use vista-64(2) and 7-64(3) at a busy home. I use external hard drives also.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Create a Link

<< Home