Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

WGA: Microsoft thinks I'm stupid

I checked my Automatic Updates today and noticed Microsoft wanted me to update the “Windows Genuine Advantage Notification(KB905474)” yet again.  The details are hysterical…

“The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine.  If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows”

One minor bitch is that unless you’re a tech (KB905474) is useless, confusing information. It’s right up there with those useful message boxes that pop up and tells me I have an “error -5”.

My real complaint is Microsoft thinks I’m stupid and I don’t know if my copy of Windows is valid. 

I know I’ve written about this before but it continues to haunt me.  Why not include the WGA check as part of the system properties dialog.  You know, the one that already displays my 23 character license.  I certainly don’t need to know every time I boot, and I really resent my information being sent to Microsoft.  I don’t accepted Microsoft excuse that it will only be used to provide updates since they’ve already had a system in place online when providing new downloads.

PC World recently discussed how some companies are now classifying WGA as Spyware. ( More Info ). At BillP Studios WGA has created a brand new category called Slap-in-the-face-ware.

Share on Facebook


2 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

Hey Bill, Ed Bott has a great little peice on the numbers that MS is claiming were caught with pirated copies of Windows:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=98

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't want WGA to bother you again T suggest you install the oldest copy of Windows XP that you can lay your hand on. The genuine 2002 copies can be bought for a song or can be obtain free from various sources. Install a new installation of this old XP on your machine. Whenever you run Windows Update you use custom option not automatic update. If unchecked the box whenever you see WGA you will never have WGA on your computer and you will be able to update your computer using custom installation forever. Remember to use genuine old programs always.

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home