Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, August 02, 2007

WinPatrol 2007 version 12

I am very pleased with the feedback I’ve received from everyone who helped test the newest version of WinPatrol. The new version is officially available today.

Everyone seems to really like our new Scotty icon. The last time I tried to change the main icon there was a rebellion of sorts. All our Vista users are glad that Scotty has his voice back.

I’ve had the most feedback about the new HijackPatrol log which is now available on the Options tab. This new informational feature isn’t intended to replace any other program but provides WinPatrol information in a familiar format. Based on the feedback from testers I’ve included additional information in our log like File Type Associations and Hidden file locations.


New WinPatrol Info dialog


All the new reports are available to both Free and Plus users although access to PLUS information has been improved and is available with a single click. Version 12 carries on our goal of helping everyone answer the question, “What the heck is running on my computer, where did it come from and what is it doing?”

For more information on changes and to download version 12, go to http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

Labels: , ,

Share on Facebook


13 Comments:

Blogger JeanInMontana said...

As much as I love Scotty and recommend him, I don't like the new icon. It barely resembles Scotty at all. At best he looks trapped in a blue bubble. :(

4:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto.......I don't like the new icon either. Give me back the black Scotty!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

lol Jean, you aren't going to believe this. I just blogged about the update and then came here to read Bill's full post instead of from the RSS feed. I described Scotty's new icon differently:

"As shown on the left, a new Scotty the Windows Watchdog image inside his own Orb has been used. This image will provide added visibility of Scotty for Windows Vista users with the default dark theme."

Seeing as how WinPatrol is Windows Vista Compatible, he fits quite nicely in his own Orb, much like the Windows icon encircled the Windows Vista Orb.

As a Windows Vista user, I had trouble locating him before with just his red collar. :)

http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2007/08/announcing-winpatrol-2007-version-12.html

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the Scotty Icon, He seems trapped in a glass bubble, instead "on patrol" and free.

I think you know -- we've become attached to Scotty.

Maybe we could have a choice of icons.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill I have to say I too miss the old Scotty I can barely tell it is Scotty anymore. I realize change can be difficult.
I am glad he didn't lose his bark.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares about what the systray icon looks like? Great program, Bill: upgrade went smoothly for me.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breathe slowly & repeat after me: change is good! We'll adapt, but maybe we need a "white" Scotty icon for those of us who don't have a black Scotty? :~)

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Bill for an excellent job he is doing with WinPatrol (since 1997).
In about 3 months, (10) ten years of "Scotty", will there be any candles ?

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a long time WinPatrol (and Win XP) user, I too prefer the old Scotty icon. The new one looks fine in a large size on the desktop, but the small version used for the system tray looks more like a Batman logo than Scotty to me. Choice would be a good thing here, if possible. Icon preference aside, WinPatrol is a great program!

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank-you for the great upgrade. However, I too would like a choice of icons. Would this be a great inconvenience to add in a future upgrade?

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to getting back the old Scotty. He looks like a bubble boy.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please bring Scotty back. My new Dell has XP and I don;t have a Vista problem.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please give me the BLACK Scotty Back..WinXP with all the updates, and the reg thing does not work for me!! EEEkkk
VS

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home