Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Spamhaus Blocks Google Bloggers

Like many others, I’ve always included a link to my Blog in my Email signature. Apparently, it’s not always a good idea. If you’re a Blogger who uses BlogSpot (and you include a link in your signature) some folks may never see your Email.

I recently tried to respond to a friend at Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society only to have my Email bounce back. Apparently, my blog is listed on the Spamhaus Block List.
When I checked the link included in the bounce I read the following…

Google's blogspot.com - seeming endless abuse (HerbalKing)

I wrote to Spamhaus and received the following reply.

Harvard is trying to protect their users from the tens of thousands of blogspot.com URL's set up by spammers in just the past month.

We advise all users to consider emails with blogspot.com links in them as probably spam. Your emails include your non-spam blogspot URL. Sadly, on the same IP address is the tens of thousands of spammer URLs.

Until Blogspot (Google) can come up with a solution to the abuse, we'd advise you to use tinyurl.com or easyurl.com to "mask" your blogspot.com link when included in emails.

--
Regards,

John Reid
The Spamhaus Project
http://www.spamhaus.org/

I personally think Spamhaus is being a little heavy handed but that’s why I don’t use any auto spam filter. By the time I publish this, HerbalKing and other spammers may be including Tinyurl links in their spam. This could potentially kill Tinyurl.

Luckily, I recently registered “BitsFromBill.com” and can use that domain to redirect folks to my Blog. This may not be an option for other BlogSpot/Blogger.com users so you may want to review how you sign your Email.


Labels: , , , ,

Share on Facebook


1 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

I can understand why they want to block Google Blogspot links, with the amount of time I've spent on Google Blogspot looking for malware, which btw has recently abated, I've come across hundreds if not thousands of spam blogs-splogs\splog farms.

Quite frankly, if Google ever decided to lop those blogs, I truely beleive there would be maybe a few hundred left of actual content.

That may sound a little over the top, but spend some surfing the blogs and you'll see what I mean.

Before you do that tho read some of what was found and get some details:
http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot.com/

I have been IMing with Chuck off and on for months about the 'splog' probelm at Google and nothing gets done regardless of who you contact.

If you want any more info email me.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home