Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

New WinPatrol Even More Windows 7 Friendly

Are you using Windows 7 or Vista? If so, you’ll probably want to take advantage of the newest release, WinPatrol 16.1.2009. Microsoft announced today that they have released Windows 7 to manufacturing (RTM) so I'm pleased WinPatrol is now set to work with the final set of Windows 7 features.

What’s New?

16.1.2009.0

  • Detects if other programs are monitoring HOSTs and some other system files to prevent conflicts.
  • Fixed rare bug where Scotty barked a few times for no reason.
  • Support for Accessibility Sound Sentry in Vista or greater.
  • Scotty icon used in new Windows 7 Taskbar.

  • Better handling of events that are blocked by User Account Control.

http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html


Microsoft continues to take security seriously with their new operating system and WinPatrol complements their efforts well. While some functionally is redunant I still pride myself in filling in the gaps that I personally think are important. One example is WinPatrol’s monitoring of your AutoUpdate settings. While it may be the least of your worries, WinPatrol wants you to know about system configuration changes just as much as changes to your startup program list.



New web design
New web design for WinPatrol.com


Friends of Scotty will also notice a big change in the WinPatrol website. I’m not a professional web designer, nor can I afford one but I’ve spend a great deal of time in making sure folks get what they want with the least number of clicks. Expect more changes as I receive more feedback and review out web stats.


A special thanks to all my supporters who have helped with suggestions, moral support and especially for sharing their views of WinPatrol with others. When I travel I still run into folks who have never heard of WinPatrol so feel free to continue spreading the news.
Bill Pytlovany


Labels: , ,

Share on Facebook


11 Comments:

Blogger jfleming said...

I will always spread the word on this brilliant WinPatrol program, the little dog is the most attractive addition to the tray.

1:24 PM  
Blogger nightsmusic said...

I think the redesign rocks!

I have a question though; am I downloading 16.1.2009? Because the only download I see is for 16.0.2009.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

Love the WinPatrol.com redesign. Looks great.

Of course it goes without saying that the update is working without a flaw.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yea, there was an old 16.0 label that has been corrected so any file you downloaded from the new upgrade page will be 16.1.2009.

Thanks!
Bill

2:28 PM  
Blogger nightsmusic said...

Thank you! Seamless installation and working perfectly :-)

3:07 PM  
Anonymous winchester73 said...

Well done Bill.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Works like a champ. No issues on this end....

Did find two new items in the hidden area that were malware from Dell.

George

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question about the startup programs list. Why is Winpatrol listed twice? One HKLM_RUN, the other X64_RUN. If running a 64 Bit OS, shouldn't there just be one?

Thank you

8:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

On X64 systems Windows redirects Run registry entries to an additional X64_RUN copy. The results is Windows will only load WinPatrol once because it knows it's a duplicate.
Scotty will however for your security display both locations.

Bill

9:14 PM  
Anonymous turledove said...

Scotty works great as always, thanks!
New web design looks good as well.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been using Win Patrol for
several yrs now.I dual boot now with XP Pro and Vista Ultimate,with Scotty patroling both
OS's.I use it most for controlling
start-up programs but I know it can
be used for more. Is their any books written about Win Patrol?

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home