Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, October 19, 2006

IE7 changes include IEFrame.dll

As you have probably heard, Microsoft has posted their first official release of Internet Explorer 7. I haven’t upgraded my personal machines yet, but I have upgraded my Studio test machines. That way I can share my experiences here and with anyone who uses WinPatrol.

As far as WinPatrol goes our users will only see 2–3 possible alerts. The first one for me came when Microsoft tried to add the program ctfmon.exe back into my Startup List. CTFMON.EXE activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.If you don’t have Office installed, you may not see this alert.
Click here for more information on CTFMON.exe.

The 2nd alert came when IE7 changed the program associated with the file type .URL.
WinPatrol File Type Change Alert
It may not have the prettiest dialogs but WinPatrol is very effective at detecting these changes.
Click for more information on IEFrame.dll.

Lastly, WinPatrol detected that IE7 adds a new Service file to the System32 directory named convert.exe. The title of this Service is listed as “File System Conversion Utility”. The Startup Type is set to “Manual” so it won’t automatically run by itself.

Share on Facebook


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home