Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Happy 10th Birthday to Scotty

Monday, November 19th is the 10th Anniversary of the public release of WinPatrol. ( 70 in dog years ). This program was originally created for friends and family after I had a machine infected with a clever trojan designed to steal my AOL password. Below is a screen shot of WinPatrol 1.0 which still runs today but has obviously improved a great deal since 1997.


Screen shot of what WinPatrol 1.0 looked like.
WinPatrol 1.0


Going through my old backup CDs I was pleased to find some great video and audio of our friends spreading the news about WinPatrol. Keep in mind what you see and hear is about an old version. The interviews will tell you more about BillP and WinPatrol then you ever cared to know. Smile and the whole world smiles with you.


Interview with TeMerc Internet Countermeasures (Text)


TechWatch Radio Interview with BillP (25 Minutes – mp3)


WinPatrol on Screen Savers with Sarah Lane and Leo Leporte (Video)


Steve Bass demos WinPatrol on Tech TV with Patrick Norton (Video)


Bill Pytlovany featured on WRGB (Video)


I never really advertised WinPatrol so its international popularity is due completely to friends. The majority of new features came as suggestions from friends of Scotty. So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you who have encouraged and supported my WinPatrol project. It’s been a rewarding ten years.


Share on Facebook


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Scotty!

Win Patrol is one of a very few programs that I've paid for and continue to use.

There are a lot more that I've paid for and then disabled with Win Patrol because they were resource hogs and not much good.

Keep up the good work.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday WinPatrol !! :)

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the one program that is a MUST on every system I or my family own!

Happy Birthday Scotty!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and many many more.
WinPatrol Plus = the one program I would not be without.
Wishing you all the best, Bill, and much continued success!
Dan

8:44 PM  
Blogger lljwagg said...

Sorry I'm a day late!
WinPatrol is one of the first programmes I install on a new pc, it's one of the core essentials for me - I'd be lost without it.
Happy Birthday Scotty, and may there be many more!

Lesley :D

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
And many, many, many more years to go ...

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday WinPatrol and my good friend Scotty.

hewee

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Scotty ...

9:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday Scotty! This is one application I would not be without. It is that good! It is way more valuable than the price.

Hope you have many more!

Bill Jacobs
Lafayette, Louisiana

10:06 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

If WinPatrol is 70 in dog years, how old is that in Internet years?

Congratulations... looking forward to the next 10!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Happy birthday, indeed! Thanks for a great little program that actually does what it says! Now, if you can come up with a little Scotty html link for those of us with websites...we'll help you pass the word!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Scotty, don't think because I missed wishing you all the best on your birthday I don't love you, I do. You were almost the first anti-malware software I installed when I bought my first PC. I've enjoyed spreading the love via Lockergnome and my own tech blog. I've never had anyone I recommended WinPatrol to come back and not tell me what a marvelous program it is.
Bill, in honor of Scotty's birthday, may I suggest a blog entry giving a bit of history about how you came up with the Scotty image. I sense another dog lover here.
All the best for the future.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home