Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Would you believe Scotty has a cold?

Yesterday’s release of WinPatrol 16.1.2009 was a big success for Vista and Windows 7 users.  It was also welcomed by Windows XP users although many discovered one small problem.  It seems adding one of the new Vista/Windows 7 features called “Sound Sentry” I broke Scotty’s bark for the majority of users who still use Windows XP.


Over the years I’ve tried to make sure WinPatrol is “accessible” to all users. One way is to continue using standard window controls instead of some kind of slick more graphical interface.  This may also be one of the reasons I’ve been able to keep the size of WinPatrol tiny.  Sound Sentry is a feature which is available via the Windows accessibility interface. Visually challenged users can also take advantage of the Windows “Sounds” control panel applet to customize individual sounds for each kind of WinPatrol event.


Adding Sound Sentry was simple but I made a stupid mistake by not properly testing the effect of Sound Sentry on all versions of Windows.  The solution was also simple so I’ve already made the correction and it has been tested. 


Instead of immediately uploading a fix I thought it might make more sense to wait a few days just to see if any other problems show up.  If you’re missing Scotty’s bark he’ll be all better by the end of next week.

Share on Facebook


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We will all have to make our own barking noises.....

12:51 AM  
Blogger nightsmusic said...

I'm so glad it isn't me! I wondered what happened. I checked my media player settings, tried making a few other players the default...nothing. I missed Scotty. When he barks, so do my dogs :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Indiana Jones said...

A slight inconvenience for a great product. Combined with Task Catcher, these products help keep my computer safe from the nasty folks.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so glad to see this. I gave Scotty and his rock-star WinPatrol entourage a home for the first time last night (not that I expect him to be grateful or anything; humble as he is, I think he can't help but know there are millions of others who want to take him in as well :). I installed a couple more programs after that and boy Scotty pounced right on the system changes, asking me for permission. But alas, he was mute. I had really looked forward to a little of that barking in my currently-dogless home (better watch what I ask for tho, since I do NOT want to get it from any neighbor dogs!).

I told him not to be polite and shy or anything just because he was new, but no go. At least now I know he wasn't just ignoring me. Aw, good boy!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home